Process and Timeline
Quick link shortcuts below in process order:
- Establish project agenda – a ‘review’ roadmap
- Communicated directly with Faculty Senate Executive Board and the college Associate Deans for Undergraduate Programs on status and timeline of the review
- Establish a public LMS website for institutional communications (http://www.lms.iastate.edu/)
- Promoted LMS Review, evaluation process, and timeline via the following channels:
- Initial discussions with stakeholders
- Established a LMS Review Steering committee with representation from the Faculty Senate, faculty, college instructional support staff, the ISU Web Accessibility Coordinator, ISU Purchasing, and CELT and ITS staff involved with LMS support and system integrations. LMS Steering Committee members listed on the LMS website (http://www.lms.iastate.edu/).
- Reviewed current LMS history, policies, and user stats
- Gathered initial feedback:
- Stakeholder meetings/focus groups: Conducted 6 stakeholder input sessions with faculty, instructional support staff, graduate and undergraduate student leadership, and central staff whose work interfaces with the LMS
- Campus-wide survey (November 11 – December 1)
- LMS Steering Committee reviewed input
- Development of the Request for Proposal Development (RFP): Steering Committee met three times to developed the required and preferred elements list for the RFP; discussion and decisions were informed via the data collected during the multiple face-to-face stakeholder meetings as well as the online survey results. These broad categories were created to ensure vendors address specific needs based on stakeholder input: Course Management, Migration, Mobile Capabilities, Learning Analytics, Accessibility Requirements, Technology, and Integration.
- Required and desired feature survey posted for open comment period (January 19 - 31). Promoted through the following channels:
- An update on the learning management system review article (January 19, 2017) on Inside Iowa State website,
- CELT website (January 19),
- CELT's Twitter,
- ISU-OLC list_serv and
- CELT's Facebook
- Review of feedback by LMS Steering Committee
- RFP out for bid February 23 - March 24, 2017 at 2:00 p.m. To learn about Iowa State University's RFP process and access the LMS RFP visit ISU's Procurement Services: Current Bid Solicitation website.
- 2-4 vendor finalists will be selected for on campus demonstrations tentatively in mid-April
- LMS selection enters final stages article (May 4, 2017) on Inside Iowa State website.
- Vendors selected for learning management system demonstrations article (April 6, 2017) on Inside Iowa State website
- Vendor demonstrations are scheduled the week of April 17 - details are posted on the Iowa State Events Calendar website and below
- Gather feedback on each LMS product
- Review of feedback by LMS Steering Committee
- Campus input evaluated and decision made tentatively by May 1
- Engage in RFP process as needed
On-Campus Vendor Demonstrations
- Instructure Canvas (LMS Product) Demonstration for Instructional Designers, April 17 (8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m., Durham 206)
- Instructure Canvas (LMS Product) Demonstration for Faculty and Students, April 17 (10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Durham 206)
Desire 2 Learn
- Desire 2 Learn (LMS Product) Demonstration for Instructional Designers, April 18 (8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., Durham 206)
- Desire 2 Learn (LMS Product) Demonstration for Faculty and Students, April 18 (10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Durham 206)
LMS Product Overviews
CELT and ITS staff will provide scenario-based overviews of the two LMS product vendors selected to give on-campus presentations: Desire 2 Learn and Instructure Canvas. Each overview presentation will feature both products. These overviews are for faculty, staff and students at Iowa State University.
- LMS Product Overviews, April 19 (10:00 - 11:00 a.m., 3558 Memorial Union)
- LMS Product Overviews, April 19 (11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., 3558 Memorial Union)
- LMS Product Overviews, April 19 (2:00 - 3:00 p.m., 198 Library)
- LMS Product Overviews, April 19 (3:00 - 4:00 p.m., 198 Library)
- LMS Product Overviews, April 20 (8:45 - 9:45 a.m., 198 Library)
- LMS Product Overviews, April 20 (9:45 - 10:45 a.m., 198 Library)
- LMS Product Overviews, April 20 (12:00 - 1:00 p.m., 2403 & 2404 Vet Med)
- Final product review and contract negotiations in process (May 5 - June).
- Migration and implementation will be dependent upon strategic and operational decisions.
- Based on additional and recent input received from stakeholders the LMS Review team is currently working on a revised timeline.
- Canvas is the new learning management system article (June 9, 2017) on the Inside Iowa State website.
- When will Canvas go Live at Iowa State? post (July 7, 2017) on CELT website and social networks.
- Update on Canvas "Go Live" Date at ISU post (July 18, 2017) on CELT website and social networks.
- Canvas is Available! post (July 28, 2017) on CELT website and social networks.
- Read Canvas LMS is ready for instructor preview article (August 3, 2017) on the Inside Iowa State website.
- Dependent upon any strategic or operational decisions